March 8 is celebrated as ‘International women’s day’. This day is dedicated to all the women of the world who by their efforts and sacrifice make the world a better place. This day is to show gratitude and appreciate their courage and sacrifice. A woman has many struggles in life be it in society, in the family, at work. But because of their strength and resilience, they come out victorious. The Bollywood industry has depicted all these struggles on the big screen.
So, here’s a list of 10 women-centric movies that you should not miss to watch.
1. Queen: A Delhi girl from a traditional family sets out on a solo honeymoon after her fiancée cancels the marriage. Queen is a journey of self-transformation every woman must take in order to find happiness.
2. English-vinglish: A story of a sweet and quiet housewife who is always mocked by her well-educated husband and daughter because of her inability to speak and understand English. The movie is an example that there is no age limit for learning new things.
3. Damini: A movie where a woman struggles to bring justice to a deceased rape victim. The movie shows her struggle and the challenges she faces in order to bring the culprits to justice with the help of a disgraced lawyer. The movie has perfectly depicted the challenges faced by a woman in society.
4. Fashion: The movie shows the hidden side of the glamour industry. A small town girl becomes a famous supermodel but soon realizes that there is a big price for her glamorous new life. The movie has depicted the struggles a women faces in the glamour industry and the criticism faced by her from the society.
5. Gulaab gang: The movie gulaab gang is the example how a spark can turn into a wildfire. A fearless woman who fights social-injustice and provides sanctuary to the abused women. It shows the abused faced by the woman of the society and their insecurity.
6. Kahani: It is a story about a pregnant women’ search for her missing husband which takes her from London to Kolkata, but everyone she questions denies having ever met him. It portrays the strength and resilience of women and her dedication.
7. No one killed Jessica: The story revolves around a journalist and activist who sets out to help the sister of a murdered model to bring justice to the deceased. This Rani mukherji starrer movie portrays a bold and brave woman who is not afraid to take tough decisions.
8. Lajja: The movie depicts the lives of four women from different places who are the victims of chauvinism and marital abuse. They decide to fight for their rights and dignity against the social norms and injustice.
9. Mary Kom: The chronicle of the life of the famous Indian female boxer who went through many hardships before accomplishing her ultimate dream. The movie sends the message to all the woman out there that don’t let go of your dreams.
10. Heroine: The movie shows the ups and downs of a Bollywood actress’s career and life and the trials and tribulations of being a Bollywood actress.